Contact Us Today 1-201-462-9500


Changing your immigrant status from Lawful Permanent Resident to U.S Citizen and the effect it has on petitions filed for relatives.

Posted by Hani Khoury | Nov 22, 2022 | 0 Comments

The immigrant visa that your relative will receive will change when becoming a U.S. Citizen. The visa category for a petition for minor children (under 21 and unmarried) or your spouse while you are a Lawful Permanent Resident is family second preference (F2A). When becoming a U.S. Citizen, the National Visa Center (NVC) or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will upgrade the petition to an immediate relative (IR). The benefit behind this category change is the limitless number of visas that can be issued to a family member each year.

The category of the petition for adult and unmarried children is changed by the NVC or USCIS from family second preference (F2B) to family first preference (F1). Usually, this is a positive change as typically the backlog in F2B is longer than that in F1. However, for the past few years, the backlog in F1 has been longer than that of F2B. Fortunately, applicants can opt out of the F1 visa category under a federal law called the Child Status Protection Act. This law allows U.S. citizens with an approved petition for their unmarried adult children to opt out of the conversion from F2B to F1.

This can be done by first submitting proof of U.S. Citizenship to NVC or USCIS. Then for applicants whose case is at NVC, they need to submit a request using NVC's online inquiry form. NVC will then forward the request to USCIS, and the category be changed back to F2B. For applicants whose case is at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate overseas, the applicant needs to ask the embassy or consulate to submit the request. The officer at the embassy or consulate will then adjust the visa category upon receipt of USCIS' approval.

If you have any questions, please contact our office at 201-462-9500 or email us at [email protected].

About the Author

Hani Khoury

HANI KHOURY is a partner and founding member of the law firm of Awad & Khoury, LLP. He is a graduate of Colgate University and New York Law School. He was admitted to the bars of New Jersey and New York in 1992 and 1993 respectively. Mr. Khoury is always ready to tackle heavily involved cases in ...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact us Today

Awad & Khoury, LLP is committed to answering your questions about Immigration, Real Estate Law, Family & Matrimonial Law, and Estate Planning & Administration matters in Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.