Every New Jerseyan needs a comprehensive estate plan. If you die without a will, it means you have died "intestate" (without a will).
- The state where you resided will determine how your property is distributed. This may include any bank accounts, securities, real estate, and other assets you own at the time of death.
- The state will decide how the financial welfare and care of your children will be handled after your death.
- After you have passed, your heirs will be forced to spend additional time, money, and emotional energy to settle your affairs, which could take years.
- Your assets can end up not in the hands of the people you wanted but in the hands of people you don't want to have them.
- You will be unable to leave gifts and charitable donations you care about.
- Without a Last Will and Testament, you cannot prevent family squabbles and disputes by ensuring that your property and assets are distributed according to your wishes.
Make an estate plan so you can have peace of mind that your advanced planning may prevent family disputes, avoid inheritance taxes, maximize and protect the assets available to loved ones, and avoid litigation.
To schedule a review and evaluation of your estate planning needs, contact our firm to schedule a consultation. Our New York and New Jersey estate planning attorneys are experienced, knowledgeable, and efficient.
Awad & Khoury represents clients in the following areas:
- Drafting, reviewing, and updating of complex and simple wills
- Establishment of trusts: revocable trusts, irrevocable trusts, and special needs trusts
- Insurance planning
- Limited family partnerships aimed at preserving family assets
- Powers of attorney
- Living wills (advance medical directives)
- Business succession planning (prepare for a smooth transition of your business to the next generation)
- Probate and estate administration
Whether your estate is large or small, simple or complex, plan now to avoid estate tax. Protect your heirs from costly and stressful estate litigation. Contact us at (201) 462-9500 to schedule a consultation.